Admin Preferences page is the most important classified configuration page, which hosts vital site configurations and settings. Most of the settings are self-explanatory. Other, require some explanation. After you made any changes to the settings make sure to click the [Save Configs and Prefs] button at the bottom of the page to save changes in database.
Site URL is one of the most important settings at the site. This is the actual URL address to the root of the classified. It must start with http:// and end with "/". If this URL address is not correct then many of the classified features would stop functioning. If you moved classified to a new folder or domain, then make sure to change this value first.
Valid Site URL values:
http://www.mydomain.com/class/ (if classified is located in [class] folder)
This is a name/title of your site. This value goes to the <title> tag in header for most of the site pages. Make it short but descriptive. Normally it should have only alphanumeric characters. Avoid using any special characters in the title. Search Engines pay close attention to the site <title> tag, therefore use appropriate to your site keywords within the title/name.
Site Meta Keywords and Description
Values you specify here used for respective META tags in site header. Avoid using special characters in both Meta keywords and description. Keywords should be separated with a coma.
Note: only a handful of SE spiders look at the keywords Meta tag these days.
Email Configuration is another important configuration responsible for Email notifications at your board. Here are steps for a proper Email configuration in Rapid Classified:
- Go to "Permissions Check" Admin Page and note which Email component is "Present" at your web server. Make sure it’s not expired. Expiration date for some components is available next to the component name. CDOSYS is preferred component in any case.
- Additionally review Hosting documentation, FAQ, Knowledge Base to verify that the "Present" Email component is recommended by your host for the use within ASP applications. While there, gather information such as SMTP server name used by your host, and information about whether or not this server requires authentication and if yes, then make sure to understand what are the SMTP ID and password should be. On some hosts, SMTP ID would be your hosting email address, on others it would be logon ID to your hosting web mail.
- Go to "Admin Preferences", select Email component, type SMTP server name, authentication credentials (if necessary) and your hosting email address gathered in step 2. Save Settings.
- Go back to "Permissions Check" and click "Test" for the selected Email component. If there is no error in configuration, you should receive test mail in a next few minutes. Then type some other email address in the "Send to" field (address not associated with your hosting domain. Use gmail, hotmail, yahoo or your internet provider email address) and click "Test".
- By default, email Replies to ads outgoing from the Email address specified as [Notification Outgoing Email]. To enable replies from the actual sender (email address specified by the visitor who replied to the ad). Check the [Email Replies From Sender] box.
Note: Not all SMTP servers would allow this. Make sure to try it (replying to the ad with Email address which does not belong to your current domain) or inquire your host if this possible at all.
For the detailed Email functionality explanation, view this article: http://www.4u2ges.com/article.asp?id=14
By default, all categories sorted alphanumerically. If you would like to sort categories by a specific order, then uncheck the [List Categories Alphabetically] and save changes. To sort your categories manually at this point,make sure you are logged in as administrator, then go to any category/subcategory/3rd-category list page and work with up/down buttons next to each category.
You may assign up to 7 optional registration fields. Fields you assign would appear during user registration and saved in user profile. Each optional field may utilize preset options built with Options Builder. For more information about preset options see chapter 2.3.
Exc. - If this box checked next to option, then that option would be excluded from the display at the ad view page and ads list pages.
S/L - Search and list flags. Following is available: S - Would make an option search-able at the advanced search page. L - Would create a column for that option at the ads list pages. SL - both - S and L flags applied. = - none of the flags applied.
Selecting a style from this drop-down box and saving changes would effectively change the board appearance according to selected style. In addition, if you checked the [Allow clients to Select Ad Styles] box, then clients can select any give style for the full ad view page appearance.
- Enable Secure Logon – Logins and account management routines at Rapid Classified generally secure. Enabling secure Logon however, provides an additional layer of security while passwords sent from clients’ browser to the web server.
Note: Enabling Secure Logon only recommended if logon ID and passwords expected to be in Latin characters only.
- Enable CAPTCHA - (turning number) if enabled requests from a user to enter a number from generated image into a special field during registration and ad posting process preventing automated submissions.
- Enable Events Log - Enables events log. More information in chapter 6.4
- Limit Image Upload to - Maximum number of image allowed for upload and attachment with ad.
- Max. Image Width/Height - Maximum image dimension allowed for upload. Images with dimension over specified limit would automatically be resized.
- Image resizing method- Select which method to use for uploaded images resizing and generating a CAPTCHA image.
- Image upload method- Select which method to use for uploading images.
- Allow clients to Post with WYSIWYG - Would allow posting ads by using Innova Studio HTML Editor for ad description.
- Verify Users Email - Email Address would have to be verified before clients can post ads.
- Approve Ads (moderate) - Ads would have to be approved by an administrator before going live.
- Maximum Chr. within Ad's body - Maximum number of characters allowed in ad description.
- Number of Ads listed per Page - Controls the ads list "paging", i.e. number of ads on an ads list page presented at a time.
- Allow user to post no more than - Number of ads allowed to be posted by a user (this values is overridden in Package Payment mode).
- Show Large Images in Ad Body - Select to display a large Image within full ad view page (if images are attached).
- Position Categories by - Number of display columns on categories list page.
- Email Alerts Limit - Limit the number of alerts created by a client.
- Detect multiple accounts - Sends Email to administrator when 2 or more accounts created from a single IP Address (chapter 6.2).
- Enable Ads Caching - Created a cached, .html version for each posted ad (chapter 8.3)
- Allow Ad Reply to members only - If enabled, visitors must create an account and logon before they are able to reply to ads authors.
- Allow Ad View to members only - If enabled, visitors must create an account and logon before they are able to view full ad details page. Note: If you enabled ads cache at the same time, the cached ads pages found via search engine would still be visible to all visitors regardless of logon status because cached ads are literally static pages and cannot evaluate client's logon status.
- Enable Statistics – When enables, it would be possible to display a certain statistical data such as visits counter, ads and user count in HTML or graphical format. More information is within the chapter 6.6 of this manual.